Configuring Windows 8 and 8.1 for Over-The-Air sync with ChaosHost
Windows 8 and 8.1 (Pro or RT) come with built-in apps in the live tile interface for
Contacts and Calendar. These apps can synchronize with ChaosHost.com to download people and
events from our web site to add to these built-in apps. These instructions will show you how
to set this up.
While not a requirement, it is also a VERY good idea to have a backup of your
data files. Our Time & Chaos and Chaos Intellect programs offer this as a choice
on the File menu. You should make a backup now if you have never done so, and making
regular backups of your data is recommended!
1. Configure Time Zone Settings on ChaosHost
To successfully transfer your appointment data with correct times, you need to
select a default Time Zone for your database on ChaosHost.com. You will also
want to set your Windows 8/8.1 to the same time zone to ensure that all
the appointment start and end times come to your device as they should. WARNING:
If you change the time zone on your device, Microsoft will change all of the start
and end times on your appointments! If you want the start times and end times
to continue to match what you see on ChaosHost.com and in Time & Chaos/Chaos
Intellect, you should NOT change the time zone on your device once you have made
your initial setup!
- Login to your account on ChaosHost.com, and go to Options.
- Select "Change Over-The-Air Mobile Sync Preferences".
- On "Enable", choose True.
- Select a Time zone for your database. Time zones are listed by Continent,
so Canada, Mexico and the United States would all be considered America, for
- The other preferences are optional, but useful if you have extremely large
- When complete, SAVE your settings.
2. Add an Exchange account to your Windows 8/8.1 Mail program
- Go to the Start screen with all the Windows RT apps and open the Mail
- Open the Charms bar on the right (Windows + C is a keyboard shortcut to
- Choose Settings.
- Choose Accounts.
- Choose Add an account.
- Choose Exchange.
- Enter your ChaosHost login in Email address as if it
were a real address. it should look like this: email@example.com .
- Enter your password in the Password field.
- Choose Connect.
2 1/2. Almost done - but wait, there's still a little more!
- Open the Charms bar one more time (Windows + C)
- Choose Settings again
- Choose Accounts again
- Click on the new account for ChaosHost
- Look for the setting for "Download new email". This setting controls, not just email, but also how often your computer or
device will sync with ChaosHost for Contacts and Calendar updates. We recommend setting this to Hourly or
Manual, depending on whether you wish the sync to be automatic or not.
There will never be any email in this account, however, as there is no email
on ChaosHost to begin with.
- Optional: You can choose to NOT sync Contacts or Calendar by unchecking one of these options. If you turn one
of these options off, this data will only be available through our web site, not through the People and Calendar apps
built in to Windows 8 and 8.1.
3. Ok, Finished!
Now that you've added the account, you can go back to the start screen and
open the People or Calendar apps in Windows RT. Your ChaosHost account should
show up in each of these programs too and should update with the information
found in your ChaosHost account.
This help article applies to
a cloud database service for users of Chaos Intellect, Time & Chaos, and Chaos Free