IMAP Accounts with Intellect
If you simply want your incoming mail to show up in Intellect and you
aren't really sure what IMAP or POP3 is, you don't need to read any further.
Just the basic mail setup in Intellect will take care of you without any
need to get technical. BUT, if you know all about IMAP and want to know more
detail about how to take advantage of this type of mail server with
Intellect, you are in the right place.
The Universal Inbox folder in Intellect
The first thing to notice in Intellect is the Inbox folder is just the
tip of a tree -- if you expand it, you'll find a list of all your accounts
which you can read separately if you wish.
- If you are on the top-level inbox folder, Intellect shows you the
combined inboxes from all your accounts.
- If you select a specific account under the top-level inbox folder,
Intellect shows only the messages from that specific account.
Reading mail in IMAP folders
- If you expand the subfolder for an IMAP account, you can also read
mail from any subfolders you have created on the server.
- Intellect is multi-threaded, which means it can download mail from
multiple accounts or folders simultaneously. While it is nice to not be
stuck waiting for a download to complete, please keep in mind that each
folder you click on will cause more and more traffic which will slow you
down. You can monitor activity by looking in the lower left hand
corner of Intellect.
- If you select an IMAP folder with a large quantity of mail to be
downloaded, you will get a popup message allowing you to choose whether
to sit through the entire download or to limit the quantity to a more
manageable size. This setting will be remembered for this folder so you
don't have to answer the same popup again later.
Synchronization with the IMAP account's Inbox folder
Unique to IMAP accounts, the Inbox folder for the specific account in
Intellect synchronizes with the Inbox folder on the IMAP
Every time we send/receive with this account,
- Any new messages in the Inbox folder on the server are downloaded
automatically to Intellect.
- If you deleted messages on the server inbox, they will be deleted
from the local inbox if previously downloaded.
- If you move messages on the server from the online inbox to another
online folder, they will be deleted from the local inbox folder in
Intellect if previously downloaded.
- If you deleted messages from the inbox folder in Intellect, they are
removed from the server's inbox folder.
- If you moved messages to a local folder in the Saved Messages area,
they are removed from the server's inbox too.
NOTE: All messages downloaded to Intellect will show up as read on your
With all of these possible changes, Send/Receive is not just for new
incoming and new outgoing messages, but also for sending and receiving these
synchronization updates, so if you made changes locally in your inbox and
don't see it reflected on your server yet, you could hit the Send/Receive
button to perform the synchronization now instead of waiting for the next
time the program is set to update your accounts automatically.
Moves and Deletes in other local IMAP folders (not Inbox)
- If you wish to drag messages from one local IMAP folder to another
local IMAP folder, you must have a live Internet connection so this
change can be made to the server immediately. This cannot be an offline
- If you delete messages from a local IMAP folder, Intellect will keep
track of the deletes in a queue so you could request deletes while
offline. However, if you delete messages from a folder other than the
IMAP inbox, since we don't check every subfolder automatically, you
would need to go to a different folder then return back to this one
before all of the deletes would be made on the server side.
This help article applies to
Intellect 4 or newer