Programmer's release notes for Time & Chaos v7
For Internal Use only.
If you are interested in getting more involved in the Chaos Community, sharing new tips and tricks, and hanging out with other cool "Chaotics", please visit the Independent User Group Forum
version 18.104.22.168 (maintenance release while we finish up Intellect 5,
Chaos 8 and Chaos Essentials for Touch)
- support added for Internet Explorer 9.
- word merge support for projects
- the last event in a repeating series now gets a tiny red flag next to the description as a visual cue on appointments and tasks.
- fixed several issues regarding the type ahead scrolling in the contact list.
- Print Appt Grid, Task Grid font choices for Large Font, Small Font and Orientation have been added.
- fixed the repeat option for "last weekday of each month" that was not enabling correctly.
- updated the Google Address validation to the new format (works again).
- right click menu option added to address display for Google mapping. (the address above the telephone numbers)
- additional options added to toolbar customizations, top align, left align, multi-select items
- default theme in now LUNA
- quite a lot of rework done to the program toolbars.
- screen sizes and locations are now stored and recalled based on the resolution of the monitor. Great for laptop users that connect to various monitors
- find duplicates in reports improved to show only relavent rows.
- complete redesign of the report module.
- grid printouts improved so that they now print treeview groups better
- memo's and lists have been completely redesigned as projects. projects can be extensively customized to your own specific requirements.
- you can drag items to the projects section tab to quickly link appointments, tasks and email messages to a project.
- improved speed and reliability of the chaos hosting synchronization
- new chaos host sync option to allow your local customizations (field labels, category labels, project labels ...) to overwrite older ones on the host. (So you don't necessarily have to set these only on the hosting site).
- lexmark printer fix for "Printer selected is invalid"
- minor bug fixes, most notably a fix for the Error 1400 Invalid Windows Handle error.
- search for mail messages now picks up the currently selected folder
- support for external theme file
- we can now click on the "Month Year" caption at the top of the monthly navigation calendars to quickly jump years. (This replaces the old scrollbar under the appointment and task repeat through calendar)
- new windows 7 theme included for the today page
- fixed an issue that would cause the Tab Captions to word wrap when using large or extra large fonts
- added a copy as text to the popup menu of the quick find search results to allow you to paste the text into a spreadsheet or other document
- added a few additional hotkeys to the telephone entry screen to allow navigation between the tab sheets.
- some minor modifications to the memo entry screen
- only custom fields containing the # symbol will sort numerically, previously we used either # or the word number. This was causing conflicts with other fields such as telephone number 1 ..
- new support added for the Portuguese language thanks to Vitor Biscaia of Portugal.
- fixed a password screen vulnerability
- fixed a issue that prevented web sync and dbtools from being found when the user installed the program on a different drive letter.
- Windows 7 RC1 support
- brand new installer for the program
- program registration on the about screen now automatically processes a UAC elevation request in both Vista and Windows 7 without having to launch program as administrator from the program icon
- ability to add up to 10 additional columns to the contact list
- added a new feature to autosync with chaos host. this option is located under the file menu in the websync menu. Optionally this provides a websync at program launch and/or at program close
- holding the SHIFT key down during program launch will allow a second instance of the program to open.
- new notes preview panels on appointments and tasks; visible when in the Appointment or Task Modules and set to the Grid View.
- new task completion percentage.
- the color of the optional gridlines has been significantly lighten for a more modern appearance. should you wish the old grid line color there is an option on the appearance section of the program options for dark gridlines
- File Shortcuts on Calendar Items, Contacts, Tasks, Memos can all now accept dropped Mail, Calendar Item's, Contacts, Tasks, Memos in addition to just files and folders.
- fixed a bug that prevented the new backup qty from saving to anything other than 10
- print preview zooming is now done with the mouse scroll wheel instead of right and left clicks
- changed the program logic for dealing with program screen size and position and multiple monitors
- several optimizations made to the various color themes
- added report search logic for "Begins With"
- removed the option to backup and restore to A:\ as this is very obsolete now. Should someone really want to do this it can be specified as any other directory.
- a new restore data option for Chaos Hosting Customers - Update Restored Records to Overwrite Chaos Hosting Data. Checking this option will allow an administrator to force their restored records to all other synchronized locations.
- fixed a bug with Locate Item in the quickfind search results where is failed to locate calendar, task items.
- within the contact record, custom fields now has a resizable column width for the data so that the drop down editors are not so far to the right that they are unnoticed. Also added a popup menu with Cut, Copy, Paste & Delete.
- some pretty significant coding changes and optimizations that should both provide a higher level of performance and a significant reduction in program size.
- daytitles now print out in alphabetic order
- ampersand characters now display correctly in the contact address area above the telephone numbers
- you can now limit the number of older backups to keep
- added default phone label text to the column selection within contact report screen
- fixed an issue on the html monthview screens that made it awkward to cut, copy, paste and delete items from the right click menu.
- fixed an issue when clicking ENTER on a contact would cause 2 contact screens to open.
- web synchronization now has an option to perform a sync over an secure connection.
- some redesign of the quickfind search results, added the ability to delete items, and further improved performance.
- new Advanced Back File Explorer (under File Menu). Will allow you to explore (look at the contents) of your backup files and to selectively RESTORE records from previous backups.
- on backup, there is a new option to "keep older backup files". Thus appt.bak will be renamed appt(1).bak before a new appt.bak is created.
- Fixed a bug that caused a blank record to be opened when a contact was dropped into the appointment window
- Fixed an appointment grid updating issue when grouped causing a group name to be repeated
- Fixed a bug that prevented the use of a Drop Down Time Interval of 60 minutes.
- simplified the saving of return addresses for envelope printing.
- the find duplicates feature in the report module now automatically scrolls into view the first highlighted duplicate
- new right click menu option in contacts: "Email to Selected Contacts" to easily generate a new mail message
- fixed a timeline printing bug affecting appointments with a start but no end time
- added a customize toolbar icon to the notes toolbar
- added a new dropdown on the notes editor toolbar to display your text reusable snippets.
- new language translation for Italian.
- fixed an issue where the new Google Address Validation icon would overlay the Copy Address Block icon
- fixed an issue when importing vCalendar files where the start time was inadvertently picking up the default start time instead of the event start time.
- fixed (changed) the behavior of a mouse over on events on the today page and month view screens. Consensus felt that it appeared too jumpy.
- made the today marker on the monthly calendar more bold
- new 14 day (two week) appointment planner mode
- appointment planner (week view) now correctly picks up the default font set in options
- appointment planner now has left and right navigation buttons in the header to move forward and back weeks.
- appointment planner now has an option under the Display menu to Show Time Blocks only. This option when checked will hide the appointment text. Useful to allow free time viewing by other users.
- updated the url link to the new user group forum on the today page
- Force the last name field to be the default field with focus when entering a new record. If you select a block of time (in weekly view for instance) and create a new appointment, it will not be checked for alarm even though the set alarm default is checked.
- Tab key in the custom field area now moves through fields.
- Added a new Weekly Timeline printout for appointments.
- Fixed a Timeline printout bug that would cause a non conflicting appointment that appeared after a conflicting appointment to print as if it had a conflict.
- Added color printing to the Appointment Timeline printouts
- Within the notes Time Stamp Format you can now embed 1 of 2 switches. %utc% and %offset% these should appear in the quoted area.
example 1: M/d/yyyy h:mm AMPM "%utc%" This would instruct the date stamp to appear in UTC time.
example 2: M/d/yyyy h:mm AMPM "%offset%" This would replace the %offset% with your offset from UTC. eg. 2/1/2009 2:00 PM -0600
- improved address book printing that uses less space by providing an option to align the telephone numbers to the right of the address block. This can be toggled on/off on the printing tweaks.
- vCalendar events are now converted to UTC when created and converted from UTC when being accepted. This make scheduling events across time zones via email easy interchangeable with other contact managers
- added the button above the address entry area to allow address validation from Google. This will feed the address shown to Google maps and return the result. Most significant issues are with postal codes. Google currently only returns a 5 digit zip in the USA, and only the first 3 on Canadian addresses. Apparently this is a licensing issue with the postal carriers (go figure ....?).
- within the contact book, if a contact does not have a primary address and they have a secondary address then the secondary address is displayed for an address above the telephone numbers.
- clicking a link in the contacts to a geo mapping website (to get a map from an address) now displays a map for the address (either primary of secondary) that is displayed above the telephone numbers.
- replaced the right click menu on the contact entry screen that was used for Copying, Pasting and Swapping an entire address block with nifty new icons in the upper right corner of the address block entry area.
- corrected a color issue in the olive theme where the contact entry screen was partially blue.
- fixed an issue when clicking Edit in the contact list where it didn't always take us to the correct tab in the contact entry screen.
- fixed an issue on the new tab controls that would cause word wrapping when running windows in Large Fonts
- notes caption bar for appointments and tasks now correctly changes to match other colorful captions colors
- added a prompt to remind you to save your changes before closing the memo entry form
- memo table entry tab between cells now works correctly
- added right click menu in memo table to Rename a column for a more obvious way to change the column heading text
- added the ability to reorder file shortcuts by dragging the icon up or down the list
- month view tasks and appointments that are colored, now have a more modern look with rounded corners, also true for some themes on the today page.
- fixed a minor bug that would assign Unfiled to a dropped contact on appointments and tasks if the list was filtered by unfiled.
- Program default color is now modernized to the standard windows Blue. Theme support has been added to customize appearance. (See Tools, Options and Appearance).
- vcs (vCalendar files) containing <br> or <br/> instead of a CRLF are now converted on the fly.
- tasks monthview mode is now a sticky (remembered) option
- default priority checkbox on the task entry screen has been moved to Task Options with the other task priorities
- improved time entry controls to support non-system time input. Examples 1920, 7.20p, 7p ...
- Load and Save Report Specifications now additionally saves the column sorting as well as the type of data being searched.
- Improved Hotkey and scroll wheel handling on the monthly navigation calendars
- If default language is English the loading of the language.sil file does not occur, which should slightly speed up the program start time.
- appointments, tasks, contacts can be now dropped on file shortcuts of a memo.
- Sync with Removable Media should now remember the location of the last sync
- fixed a vulnerability on restoring a password protected dataset
- improved the search matching in the reports module for the create date and last modified date fields by discounting the fields time content.
- made a few refinements to the new memo preview panel.
- Time & Chaos 7 now hides the program status bar to allow for additional viewing space. It's primary purpose was for mail events and thus redundant
- fixed an issue where the Sync with Chaos Host sometimes was not automatically refreshing the screen
- the backup screen now includes a new button for Web Sync. Combined with the Prompt for backup, this should serve as a reminder to perform a web sync to sync with our hosting service at program close.
- when updating from the Check for Newer Version the program will now automatically skip the next backup prompt when an update is being installed to enable simpler updating and usually save having to reboot windows.
- added a print button and right click menu option on the Quick Find search results.
- F12 has now been assigned as a short-cut to perform a websync.
- added a new quickfind edit on the main menu
- vCard export of selected contacts now additionally exports notes
- should the import wizard fail to import a particular record, it will be marked on the import table in a red font so that we can isolate the failing record.
- fixed a bug that prevented deletions of an item from the activity series editor
- the quickfind search results window has now been made non-modal, which means .... that we can now leave the results open and perform other actions in chaos, we can now minimize it, and we can now open multiple quick find windows simultaneously.
- fixed a bug that caused an error when right clicking on an appointment in the weekly planner to select the edit menu options
- there is a new appearance option to allow popup dialogs to fall behind the main application screen; power users may enjoy this option as popup windows can now be independently minimized from the main application screen.
- an update to the mapquest link in the contact list to adapt to their website changed formats
- corrected a print issue on contact profiles where an extremely long note could cut off the last couple of lines
- updated the built-in link to the new address for the Forum Chaos users group
- printing of the appointment grid or task grid now supports color
- Appointment Day view and Week view modes now have the option of customizing the Day Start Time, Day End Time, Active Day Start Time and Active End Time. This options are located under the Display menu on that screen.
- the memos module now has a new preview panel (similar to the contacts module) so that you can preview the contents of a memo without having to double click to open it.
- We now have a pretty good translation of native French, Dutch, German and a good start on the Spanish language, I would like to thank our customers for their contributions and excellent work on this.
- Improved the handling of the default wav sound files in vista.
- fixed a bug that prevented the password labels from being displayed on the login screen when using multiple passwords .
- fixed a bug in the Tasks area that was preventing the toolbar icons for delete, done from becoming enabled when the appointments where open in read only mode.
- you can now use your mouse wheel on the main navigational calendars to scroll months.
- the contact list can now be sorted by the Group column by clicking on the column header, if you have chosen to display this column.
- redesigned the information about this data popup window under help
- fixed a column sizing issue on Linked Appointments and Linked Tasks notes columns.
- a slider control has been placed under the monthly calendar on the repeat options to provide a much quicker way of entering the end date of annually scheduled events such as birthdays and anniversaries that may need to be 20 years or so in the future
- printing of the appointment grid or the task grid now has an option (tweak) to allow the inclusion of a notes column.
- added a toolbar to the quickfind search results.
- fixed a bug on the daily calendar printout where an appointment scheduled from after 11pm would invalidate the day's appointments
- added a new search footer option in the contact list
- adding appointments while filtered by group now will automatically assign the last used color associated with that group
- added type ahead to the last name and company fields in the contact entry screen. this has been done to aid in the prevention of manually adding duplicate contacts
- fixed a bug in the printing of a weekly calendar in auto expand mode where the 1st day cell height was being incorrectly calculated.
- improved the month view calendar to automatically scroll to the active date if monthly calendar was having to scroll to display all of the appointment activity.
- memos and lists now support File Shortcuts as a new tab.
- fixed an inconsistency in saving and loading of Large or Extra Large fonts.
- fixed a bug that prevented table text in the memos and lists from being saved without clicking away from the cell first.
- new appointments can now have a color automatically inherited from the group name. It now automatically uses the last color used for that group.
- appointment attendees are now included in the appointment details printout
- in the contacts module, we now have a choice of displaying either the custom fields or the notes of a contact record. This setting is toggled on/off by clicking on the new note icon that appears at the top right corner of the custom fields display pad. Setting is remembered.
- fixed an issue that prevented an activity series from being scheduled if there was no linked name specified.
- simplified the process of creating vCards by adding the function to the right click menu of a contact.
- initial release of the new Globalization Initiative (under help). Phase 1 of a long road. This opens to door to future language translations for International Users please read this for additional details.
- The first appointment and task is no longer automatically selected (highlighted) when changing dates on the main screen calendar. This prevents the contact list from highlighting the linked name which to quote an passionate customer "made the whole program useless"
- new the appointment details screen now has a new tab to allow us to link additional attendees. These appointments will be reflected on the Linked Appointments for those marked as attendees.
- fixed notes printing so that the note header and page number also print on the 1st page.
- import wizard can now load and save an import map file (on the right click menu)
- fixed appointment month view so that it displays the Cut, Copy and Paste options on the right click menu
- improved the highlighting of contacts when selecting appointments or tasks that are linked. If you multi-select linked appointments or tasks now ALL of the linked contacts are highlighted in the contact list. This should be very convenience for mail merging.
- fixed an issue in NOTES that some users would see inconsistent cursor positioning while live spelling was enabled
- provided the ability to turn off the quick fill type ahead buffer on fields in the General Options
- sync with removable media now supports synchronization of Linked Contacts and Additional Attendees.
- quick find search results now has a new right click menu option that offers the ability to "Locate Item" that will display the item in normal context with your data. Try it. It will make good sense once you see it in action.
- color mode printing checkbox should now work correctly to control the text color of appointments on the monthly calendar printout
- improved table data entry, copy, and paste functions in the "memo's and lists" module
- the contact details screen now has a new tab to allow us to link related contacts. This powerful new feature will allow us to build dynamic relationships between contacts. Linked contacts may be double-clicked.
- when printing notes we can now print just the selected text by choosing SELECTION (as opposed to ALL PAGES) on the print dialog box under the FILE menu.
- corrected a bug that caused the column sizing of a Single Column Phone list to fail.
- added working shortcuts to the notes window Alt+F, Alt+E, Alt+O, Alt+S ...
- added a new printing tweak to allow envelopes and mailing labels to be printed in uppercase block letters
- added new leading and trailing date option on the monthly calendar view. Available on right click menu.
- fixed a issue with printing a weekly calendar as columns that would produce a blank page if the Auto expand tweak was also selected
- fixed a bug that would cause an error message at shutdown for some xp users
- added new Edit buttons on both the toolbar and right click menu of Appointments, Tasks, Memos and Contacts to allow the direct navigation to a particular tab of the record details
- password screen now has immediate focus for keyboard use.
- significant improvements to the data import facility. Much easier to operate, more forgiving on date and time formats, displays custom field labels and default telephone labels.
- contact list in Classic View can now have it's own customized column widths independent of the full screen Contacts View
- improvements to the handling of custom font changes.
- improved handling of invalid paths in the netinfo.cds file. Program will now open although with supporting error messages.
- added some new options on the "Information About this data" to perform easy resetting of preferences to default, resetting toolbars etc. (mostly to simplify tech support).
- ability to change the width of the telephone labels column on the contact entry screen.
- fixed a bug in the appointments module that was causing undo disk access
- added the style to the today page appointments to allow the canceling or bolding of appointments from that screen
- month view tasks now sort in priority order
- fixed an issue when adding an activity series on the Linked Tasks or Linked Appointments from within a contact where the linked name could be lost.
- deleting linked appointments and tasks from within the contact record that are part of a series no longer popup the option to delete the series as the entire series is already displayed.
- recompiled under Delphi 2007. New fast strings library should provide increased performance.
- the vista ALT key should now behave normally.
- support for vCal variant of iCal (files with .ics)
- vCal files are now correctly opening with an enabled OK button to allow saving.
- added support for the new Office 2007 template files extensions of .dotx and .docx
- new vista style splitter bars
- restyled telephone number entry area. Improved appearance, tabbing ....
- new print tweak for weekly calendar to print the appointments in vertical columns instead of horizontal.
- new print tweak for the weekly calendar to Auto Expand to fit for clients with many appointments.
- toolbars and menus now inherit the font face set in appearance options.
- the storage location for custom spelling dictionaries has been moved to the Application Data Folder so that vista users can save entries.
- next previous buttons on a contact entry screen will now also work on the results list of a report.
- added balloon tooltips on both the telephone numbers and custom fields displayed on the main contact list
- added the ability to print appointment details of selected appointments from the timeline view
- import wizard now has a right mouse click option on the grid to rename a column heading
- import wizard now has a fight mouse click option on the grid to automatically split a column into 2 new columns based on a space character. This should be very useful for ACT users converting to split their name field "John Smith" into 2 separate columns "John" and "Smith"
- timeline view now has a right click option so that you can turn off then start time for appointments
- printing a memo now includes the memo subject as the page title
- vCalendar events (.vcs files) can now be registered to open and accept incoming appointments. See file associations tab in options
- printing of calendars and tasks now follow the group and category filtering on the active screen
- world time clocks on the today page can now be easily customized (Click "Customize" link next to the clocks)
- if the today page is used to browse to a website, you can now visit other areas of the program, re-click the Today button and not loose the website that you had been looking at.
- the today page now properly displays all appointments on the last displayed date.
- improved the testing of passwords for validity in the program options. Prevents empty passwords and identical passwords that have been entered into the Full, Guest or Read textboxes
- changes to the appointment timeline interval are now being automatically saved
- added some code to allow the sorting of the memo list by clicking on the column headers (when not grouped)
- a very select group of customers were unable to delete a repeating series from the classic screen view. this has been corrected.
- splitter bars are back on the classic screen allowing the windows to be resized.
- today page now has a right click menu option on appointments and tasks to "Show Grouped"
- today page now has a right click menu option on appointments and tasks to Filter by a Group.
- printing a year calendar now begins in the year that is selected and not the actual current year.
- default telephone number is now bolded on the main screen telephone number area
- report screen can now Save Report Specifications for simple searches without having to go to the Advanced features.
- added a fix to the vCalendar export (on the report screen) to better handle appointments that have no end time specified.
- added support for vonage web dialing to services.ini
- chaos fax interface now supported in vista.
- more vista tweaks.
- enhanced the list of available mail merge fields to include custom fields 13 through 20
- fixed an issue with contact lookups done in upper case letters
- enabled the TAB key navigate windows in classic view
- added some new menu functionality to the Today Page so that you can delete, mark done and add appointments and todos by right clicking
- legal billing data now synchronizes with "Sync with Removable Media"
- fixed an error that would trigger in MS Vista when browsing for a folder.
- although it should be transparent to the customer, the location of the program registration data has been moved to a location that will be more Vista friendly
- rewrote the internal code to "register file extensions" - the vista way.
- ensured that Sync with Removable Media and Check for Updates are disabled options when running from a memory stick as these options should be used only from the desktop versions.
- new enhanced GoTo Date features (available on the right click menu of the calendar)
- import wizard now strips off leading and trailing spaces from the contact data being imported
- fixed an issue regarding saving of resized column widths on appointment and task lists
- the contact entry screen now has a selection rectangle on the phone number fields to better show which field has the focus.
- added a fix to ensure that application always closes properly at shutdown (occasionally windows would prevent us from deleting the temp folder and program could remain open on Task Manager).
- improved the initial program load time with large contact list's
- Date Time Stamp now places focus to the editor window and resets the font back to the default font.
- some minor refinements to the html for the today page to better align the text
- changing the name of a set of data no longer requires a restart to change the name on the main screen caption bar
- memo tables now print in same font as displayed on screen.
- fixed a bug when deleting a repeating series from the month view screen that would prevent a recurring series from being deleted
- the contact list feature to "add a new contact at this company" has been expanded to allow a similar function "add a new contact at this address" when the company name of the current record is blank.
- added a line of code to ensure that the task calendars are always visible.
- when the program regains focus after an ALT TAB within windows the phone book should now receive the focus so that a user can immediately perform a lookup of a name.
- added a couple of new toolbar options for the appointment timeline planner views that let you choose background colors for the Active and Non Active time portions of the day.
- added the ability to drag and drop tasks to change the priority. dropping a task on top of a task with a different priority changes the priority to match.
- added the ability to print monthly calendar with or without appointment end times. Option is on the tweaks page.
- "select all" added to right click menu on memo's
- fixed a minor issue in the timeline balloon tips where descriptions with an ampersand could display a tip with a double ampersand
- changed the program folder name from Program Files to My Programs on a removable media install so that it would not find a C Drive installation of the same name when using auto play
- fixed an issue when an appointment alarm is fired while password protected screen saver is active where the alarm popup was black and unreadable
- if system time format is does not include the am pm then appointment timeline is now displayed in 24 hour time format
- fixed an old and rather obscure bug that could change the appointment lead time back to the default when editing a note by clicking on the notes icon on the appointment grid.
- made several changes to both the month view appointments and month view tasks to ensure that only appropriate menu items are enabled when a record is selected.
- navigation tree in the today module now underlines the links and provides a single click to open and close the nodes
- updated the minor version number of Time & Chaos so that it matches the minor version number of Intellect (both are now .0.2.0)
- appointment planner now has right click menu option to "Show End Times" or not
- fixed a possible drag and drop issue that could prevent a successful drop of data after using the Reopen Data.
- activity series editor can now save changes independently of closing the screen.
- fixed a bug when printing a monthly calendar when the 1st weekday has been specified as a Thursday.
- a few changes on how we register file extensions. Now moved to options.
- all exe modules are now digitally signed to certify that the code that you download and run on your system from our company actually originated from our company and has not been tampered with.
- EML and MSG file associations are no longer registered at startup.
- Alarm monitor updated to be unique to Time & Chaos and redundant features removed